Complaint / review text:
I contracted with Atlas Asphalt to re-pave our driveway, this included excavating the driveway, putting in new Belgian blocks, a new apron, and paving the driveway. At the narrow end of the driveway, the new driveway was to be 13 feet across and the new apron was to be 5 feet in length. Pursuant to the contract, we were to pay a total of $11,000.00.
Atlas Asphalt started the job in mid-April. At that time, they excavated the driveway. A few weeks after the excavation, Atlas Asphalt put in new Belgian blocks and the apron. This was completed in approximately late April, early May. At that time, we paid Atlas Asphalt one-half of the amount due as the balance was due on completion.
When we measured the width of the driveway, we determined that the measurement of the width of the driveway — measuring from the inside of the Belgian blocks, which would be the actual usable width, was approximately 12 feet and inches. When we measured the length of the Belgian block apron (the Apron), we determined it to be approximately 4 feet and 8 inches in length.
Since both of these measurements were significantly less than what we had contracted for, we notified Atlas Asphalt that the driveway was not wide enough and that the Apron was not long enough. I was told that they would send Stefan Davis to confirm my measurements. It took Mr. Davis approximately 4 weeks to actually come and measure my driveway. He stated that the job was done correctly.
Approximately another 4 weeks went by, and Atlas Asphalt came to actually pave the driveway. Note, up until this time, we were living with a dirt and rock driveway that caused a tremendous amount of mud and dust.
When Atlas Asphalt came to pave the driveway, they did not do so and told us that they could not do it because the Belgian blocks were incorrectly installed and the asphalt would run into the garage. We were told that another Atlas Asphalt crew would need to come out to re-do the Belgian blocks. After several telephone calls to Atlas Asphalt and several more weeks, a crew finally came on July 22,2009 to re-do the Belgian blocks.
On July 22,2009, the crew arrived at about 12:40 P.M. I explained the situation to the crew chief and told him that I had to leave on an emergency appointment, but, that I would be back in about an hour. I gave the crew chief my cell phone number and told him to call me before the crew left. The crew chief promised me that the crew would not leave without calling me first.
When I arrived back home at about 1:50 P.M., the crew was gone. I called Atlas Asphalt to determine what happened. I was now told that the Belgian blocks were installed correctly and that the problem is that I needed a spur to be installed.
Finally, on August 5,2009, Atlas Asphalt finished the job. However, I am extremely displeased with the results. I would never use them again and you should not either. I will be suing them in Small Claims Court.